Friday, August 1, 2008

From the August Mailbox

Judith--I am having a wonderful time with your book.

I ran the gauntlet about 5 years ahead of you and from an academic (Harvard) rather than a political (SAIS) base but there are still a lot of personal parallels but also of course deep engagement in the politics of the period--although for me at more of a remove than a staffer on Congressional committees!

I didn't know that you were going to tell the story so personally and it's obviously a brave decision but as I read I think there's no other way to convey the reality of your two main themes--the narrowness of the decision-makers' perception of the world in spite of their seeming worldiness--and the deep cultural roots under the daily reality of discrimination against women.

I haven't finished but I've done little else but read these last few days. Thank you for doing this.

Most sincerely,
Mona

No comments: