Monday, August 11, 2008

From the August Mailbox

It's the truth--once I had got into the story, I was hooked--and I finished the book so admiring of you.

You had loads of what we English used to call gumption and where I just bowed my head and buckled and complained, you were brave and made your way and thereby cleared a path for others.

And weirdly, though I consider myself an old feminist, I needed the central messages--that change is brought about by the dedicated activism of a few, not through some kind of inexorable cultural tide--that the work and achevements of previous generations of women advocates are systematically erased from the cultural record so it's always three steps forward and then two back at best.

I am buying five more copies of your book to send to friends.

Love and Congrats G

No comments: